Tuesday, August 2, 2011

That can't be right...can it?

One of the fears you tend to have when you've had your dome cut into is the overriding fear of infection.  Because, let's face it - there's a fine line between scalp and brain.  I don't want to turn into a zombie.

As I hope you know, I've been compliant.  I've taken it easy, haven't done any travel, haven't over-exerted myself.  I skipped Zumba last night, dammit.

On Saturday, after I carefully washed my hair, I went to World Market and bought some curtains.  While I was there, I felt the incision site oozing a little.  I blotted it, and it appeared to be serum - basically clear, with a tinge of pink.  But it smelled a little like vinegar.  Yeah, I smelled it.   I wanted to make sure it didn't smell like rotten flesh, or brains or whatever.  What do brains smell like?  I don't know.  I do know what putrefaction smells like, and I know what blood smells like - and this smelled like vinegar.  It was a little worrisome, but it was short-lived and I didn't feel bad, so I took my curtains and went home.

This morning, it started again.  It almost felt like the gelatin matrix they used to keep the wound moist cracked, and it started oozing again.

The smell was manky.   On the spectrum of April Fresh to Gangrenous, it veers a little toward the latter - but that could just be the gelatin breaking down.

Am I concerned?  Yes, I am.

But really other than stewing in my own juices (literally - ha, ha), what can I do?   Nothing - I can wait six hours, go see my doctor and hope for the best.

But I really feel like I smell like garbage.  

Here are the facts, though - I don't have a fever.  The incision site, and in fact, my head/scalp as a whole doesn't feel warm to the touch or inflamed.  So, let's just assume it's time to change the dressing or remove it altogether... let the mother breathe.

I will say that today, the pain is next to nill - and that's a good thing.

I've taken some Tylenol as a precaution. 

So, we'll see if I have scalp rot, and I'll let you know where that stands later today.

BTW - the curtains from World Market look awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment