Friday, July 8, 2011

What do you know?


Good news?  The path report is back from California.  Bad news?  Inconclusive.  They hedge to call it a Pilomatrical Carcinoma.  They think there’s a possibility it’s benign – a proliferating pilomatricoma (see also proliferating pilomatrixoma).    Well, Googling that is a little less scary, but my local doctor reminded that the local pathology thinks cancer.  And that the secondary people didn’t have much tissue to work with because her samples were so friable. 

I kind of pressed her to say if they were leaning toward benign or malignant, but was sorry they couldn’t decide.

Either way, it has to come out.  That’s what the good doctor says.  I think she thinks it’s cancer.  But, regardless of whether it’s benign or malignant, they’re cutting on my scalp.  The difference is how much.  And in what way?

So now, again, I wait.  Dr. S – the Mohs Surgeon and Vanderbilt wants to see me next week, and they’re going to call me today to set it up – but Dr. P thinks if I haven’t heard by 4PM, I should call them.

Which means I have two hours to kill before I can make a move.

Dr. S will probably biopsy the area, and hit up pathology again.  That’s the hard part.   Waiting for pathology – which, I’m starting to learn is like corporate America – slow to move, and hesitant to commit, lest they be wrong.  I mean, I don’t want them to say it’s OK if it’s not.  But I’d be less upset if they said it’s bad and then turned out to be wrong.

Whatever.  Now, I wait.

I have a departmental meeting at 3, so it would be nice if Dr. S’s office would call before then.  Or whatever…

Clearly, you can poke a fork in me.  I’m done.

For now.

More as I know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment