Thursday, July 7, 2011

Lemon Tree, Very Pretty


Why am I doing this?

So,  I’m putting this story into words because to be honest, I can.  I’ve always used writing as therapy.  That’s why the first few entries are devoted to a tonsillectomy from back in 2009.  Full recovery, by the way.  The taste disturbances took a year to go away, but no sore throats, no more tonsil stones.

Anyway, I wanted to give you a little background.

And presumably, if you’re reading this, you have stumbled upon this by searching pilomatrical carcinoma on Google or something.

And maybe you’d like some documentation from one of the 90 some-odd people diagnosed with this crazy thing.

We’ll start with a little about me.

I’m a 36 year old white female.  I live in the Southeastern United States, and like many people of my age and geography, I got a lot of sun as a kid.  I don’t think that has anything to do with it, but I’m going to give you tons of data – you can decide what it means.

I have moderately fair skin, brown hair (graying), brown eyes.  On my mother’s side, her people are from England, Scotland, Ireland – so there’s that Celtic descent, but it’s not obvious.  On Dad’s side, we have French, English and Hungarian Jews. 

I’m in reasonably good health.  I just stopped taking birth control, but I was on it for nearly 15 years.  No kids, and we plan to keep it that way.  So yes, I’m married, and have been for 6 years.

Other medications include a low dose of Effexor (for anxiety/depression) and a low dose  ofLisinopril (high blood pressure).  I’m trying to get off the latter – which looks promising.  I’ve lost 44 pounds since January.  I have another 44 to go, and I should be good.   I’m using Weight Watchers.  It works.

Clearly, my weight was an issue, and will be so for a while longer – though my doctors have always remarked that my health is overall quite good.

Now, that brings me to family history.

We’ll start with Cancer itself.  On Mom’s side, nothing.  Dad’s side?  Both parents died of Cancer.  Paternal Grandfather – Hypernephroma.  Paternal Grandmother – Lingual/Oral Cancer.  Both died within a year of diagnosis.  He was 62, she was 83. 

Dad has a history of diabetes, high blood pressure, kidney disease, heart disease, obesity… honestly he uses up a lot of ink on the family history portion of medical forms.

Mom has high blood pressure and high triglycerides.  Her father died of…some stomach thing.  I don’t know exactly.  Her mother died of, ultimately old age – but her health deteriorated after she fell and broke her hip.  My grandfather died in his seventies, grandmother in her late eighties.

Clearly, I need better data on Mom’s side. 

I’ve been pretty low-impact in terms of health issues.  The aforementioned tonsillectomy, wisdom teeth – but no other surgery or health concerns.  Well, obviously, the weight wasn’t good, but that’s progressing nicely.  The depression/anxiety are mostly under control (although to be honest, I’m both anxious and depressed at the moment).  Since I’m not planning to have kids,  I’ve never had any reproductive or assorted lady part issues.

Not that any of this necessarily means anything. 

Like I said, I’m giving you the clues and counting on you to Nancy Drew it into a case.

Meanwhile, no word from my dermato.  Or anyone.

I still haven’t told Mom and Dad.

Only my husband and boss.  And you, if you’re reading this.

No comments:

Post a Comment