Thursday, July 16, 2009

How I Got To This Point, Part 3

Per Dr. Howzer, er, Mantle's advice, I got an appointment with Vanderbilt ENT for a follow-up. Originally, I wasn't going to get to see anyone until July 29th, but at Mom's advice, I called up my PCP and asked for a referal. As it turns out, the Vanderbilt ENT practice has some satellite offices - and their Franklin practice could see me on the 7th.

So I went in preparing to state my case as to why I wanted my tonsils gone. That turned out to be folly - he suggested it after peering briefly down my gullet, then using some sort of nasal speculum to spread my nostrils (they are kind of tiny) and look up my nose.

Basically, I've spent longer deliberating which earrings to wear to work than the good doctor spent examining me. But since I'm getting what I want, so much the better.

I called BCBS today to see what this grand affair is going to cost me, and as it turns out, the answer is, probably more than I had expected.

For starters, I have about $285 left on my $1000 deductible, and that is what it is. The ER visit definitely helped me get to that level. After that, they pay 80% of cost, I’m left with the remaining 20% - assuming it doesn’t go over the “Maximum Allowable Cost” – I guess meaning, they’re not going to use sutures made of spun platinum encrusted with diamonds and unicorn teeth. So, after looking up a few worst case scenarios, I’m thinking we’re looking at about $1000. Which seems ridiculous, but I think that’s a possibility. But if you were to take a look at my tonsils today, while they don't look as bad as they did the night of my ER visit, they do have some spots on them, and you probably would think (as I do) - gee, that doesn't seem right...

So, that's the latest. I am planning my visit back to the doc's office for labwork and paperwork at the end of the month.

Mom, Dad and the pugs are coming up to aid in my recovery.

Here we go.

No comments:

Post a Comment